Last Update 20:48
Tuesday, 12 November 2019

Egypt sees most tourists in 3 years in August: Minister

Tourism sector signals possible recovery as hopes for political stability on the rise

Waad Ahmed , Tuesday 30 Sep 2014
Luxor
Hatshepsut Temple, Luxor (Photo:Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2812
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2812

Egypt saw a significant rise in the number of tourists visiting the country in August, the most in the last three years, the country's Tourism Minister Hisham Zaazou said at the Al-Mal GTM money and finance conference on Tuesday.

Tourists' numbers increased by 76.7 percent in August compared to the same period a year earlier, said Zaazou.

According to Ahram Online calculations, this indicates that some 997,500 tourists visited the country in August.

In July, several European countries announced the removal of travel bans imposed on Egypt in February, when a bomb blast on a tour bus in South Sinai killed three South Koreans and their Egyptian driver and raised concerns about safety in Red Sea resorts.

July also saw the election of President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi, with almost 97 percent of the vote, on the promise of achieving economic prosperity and political stability.

The ailing tourism sector has suffered drastically since a popular uprising toppled president Hosni Mubarak in 2011.

Zaazou also said that the ministry launched a new advertising campaign with the Arabic logo "Wahashtoona" – which translates to "We've missed you" – to target tourists from Arab countries.

The tourism ministry has budgeted $2.5 million for online advertisements through sites like Facebook, Twitter and Google plus, seen as the most effective way to reach potential tourists.

 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
2



Alvin J Furrer
01-10-2014 09:31am
2-
1+
South Sinai is not just Sharm el Sheikh !
Once again the Ministry of Tourism, and the rest of the government, is forgetting that South Sinai is not just about Sharm el Sheikh, but there are many other tourist destinations there which need help and whose tourism industries are still suffering. Yes, business is on the rise in Sharm el Sheikh - but what about Dahab, Nuweiba, St Catherine and Taba ? Yes, western European countries are lifting the travel bans to Sharm - but not to those other tourist destinations; - and the government is doing nothing to persuade them otherwise. All the government efforts are concentrated on Sharm just as it was under Mubarak era !
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
1



Nina
01-10-2014 06:07am
4-
3+
Cooking the Numbers
If I recall correctly, at least for Luxor, tourist occupancy was around 1-3% in August of last year. A 76% increase wouldn't bring that to more than 2-5% occupancy. This is still terrible. A 76% increase over nearly nothing is still nearly nothing.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.