Egypt's Salafist Call condemns proposed protests
Ahram Online, Tuesday 18 Nov 2014
Prominent Salafist group distances itself from planned protests calling for imposition of 'Islamic identity'


Salafist Call has denounced calls by another Salafist group for demonstrations on 28 November.

The Salafist Call, one of the largest and most influential Salafist groups in Egypt, said it rejected the anticipated protests led by the Salafist Front.

"It has become clear that the purpose of the protests is to exhaust the state," the Call said in a statement published on its official Facebook page.

The Front said it would stage demonstrations to call for the "imposition of the Islamic identity without disguise."

However, the Call said these aims were "deceptive."

Leading Front member Mohamed Galal told Turkey's Anadolu news agency last week that the protests would also "condemn the monopoly of political and economic decisions [by the state] and [call for an] end to military rule."

The interior ministry has vowed to deal "firmly" with these protests and said it would use "live ammunition" against those who "threaten security."

A law, passed in November last year, which bans unauthorised protests and puts restrictions on assembly, has been criticised by activists. Hundreds have been arrested under the law's provisions.

The Salafist Front identifies itself as an association of independent Islamic figures and proselytising blocs.

The Salafist Call, meanwhile, and its political arm the Nour Party, have supported the roadmap that included the ouster of president Mohamed Morsi in July 2013.



http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/115838.aspx