UN extends South Sudan peacekeeping mission
AP, Tuesday 25 Nov 2014


The UN Security Council on Tuesday unanimously extended the U.N. peacekeeping mission in South Sudan for another six months.

The was followed by a brief statement from South Sudan's representative, who said his government remains confident that a peace agreement is possible with rebels despite a year of violence and a number of failed cease-fires.

About 100,000 civilians remain camped at nine UN bases across the world's youngest country in an effort to escape the conflict between troops loyal to the government of President Salva Kiir and rebels loyal to former Vice President Riek Machar.

Thousands have been killed in the fighting, and about 1.9 million people have fled their homes.

In his latest report on the conflict, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said the international community has grown impatient with the failure of South Sudan's leadership to stop the months of fighting. It's their responsibility to resolve the country's problems, he said.

"I am particularly worried that both parties have so far indicated their preference for military conflict if the other side is not ready to sign a peace agreement on their terms," Ban's report said.

The secretary-general's report also warned that the UN mission alone can't effectively protect civilians. As of Nov. 5, the mission had 10,335 military personnel on the ground in South Sudan, out of the 12,500 troops approved for the mission.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/116438.aspx