5 'terrorists' killed, 78 arrested in North Sinai: Army
Ahram Online, , Wednesday 24 Dec 2014
The army says that 5 'terrorists' were killed between 21 and 23 December, citing additional arrests as well as the seizure of vehicles and motorcycles


The Egyptian army said on Wednesday that it killed five "terrorists" during an attack on one of their hideouts, between 21 and 23 of December in North Sinai.

According to the army, security personnel have also apprehended 78 suspects and seized eighteen motorcycles and nineteen vehicles. A car the army alleged was stolen from Ismailia's national security department was also located.

According to the statement by army spokesperson, Brigadier-General Mohamed Samir, nine tunnels and 29 Jihadists hideouts in North Sinia were destroyed and four bombs – 50 kg each – were defused.

A military campaign against militants was launched by Egypt's army after attacks spiked in the Sinai Peninsula following the ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in 2013.

The campaign intensified following a massive militant attack in the North Sinai town of Sheikh Zuweid in October, where more than 30 army personnel were killed and a few dozens injured. Responsibility for the attack was later claimed by Ansar Beit El-Maqdis group, which pledged loyalty to the Islamic State in early November.

Following the October attack, the army began the creation of 1,500 metre buffer zone along Egypt’s border line with the Gaza Strip. The buffer zone required the evacuation of Egyptians residents living in the border city of Rafah and is being undertaken in two phases, the first of which (along 1,000 metres) was completed earlier this month.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/118764.aspx