Assailants kill conscript after kidnapping him in Egypt's North Sinai
Marina Barsoum, , Friday 22 May 2015
The conscript was killed after the militants stopped an ambulance in North Sinai, leaving three others, including a driver and a medic badly injured


Alleged Islamist militants killed one conscript in Egypt's North Sinai on Friday after kidnapping him from inside an ambulance, head of Egypt's ambulance authority Ahmed El-Ansary told Ahram Online.

Gunmen stopped the ambulance that was carrying two injured conscripts, a medic and the driver, El-Ansary explained to Ahram Online.

"The incident resulted in the death of one conscript, while the rest of the other three people who were inside the ambulance are badly injured, especially the medic who was immediately transferred to Cairo," El-Ansary said.

Islamist militants have targeted security forces, mainly in North Sinai, and at times civilians have died as a result of the violence.

The Egyptian army has poured troops into the peninsula as part of an extensive campaign to crush the insurgency.

In its latest report on its operations against militants, the army said it has killed over 700 "terrorists" over the past six months.

Earlier this week, Egypt’s prison authorities carried out six death sentences early Sunday in the case known as "Arab Sharkas", where the convicted were tried over connections with the Sinai-based Islamist militant group Sinai Province.

Sinai Province group, formerly known as Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis, pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group in November 2014.

The group has claimed responsibility for many of theattacks against army and police forces in Egypt following the ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July 2013.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/130953.aspx