Egypt's ex-regime figures to be transferred to five different prisons
Hatem Maher, Sunday 5 Feb 2012
In an attempt to mitigate protesters, Egypt's Ministry of Interior decides to redistribute ex-regime figures to five different prisons


The ex-regime figures currently remanded in Tora prison will be redistributed among five different prisons, as the Ministry of Interior seeks to mollify protesters following last week’s Port Said tragedy.

Many demonstrators and activists accused the likes of Ahmed Ezz, Habib El-Adly, Gamal and Alaa Mubarak of hiring thugs to sow disorder in a country still tottering as protesters continue to seek tangible changes, following last year’s 18-day uprising, which succeeded in ending the 30-year autocratic rule of president Hosni Mubarak.

In Egypt’s worst football disaster at least 74 were killed and scores injured when Masry fans invaded the pitch in an Egyptian Premier League game against Cairo giants Ahly last Wednesday.

“The decision of the interior ministry comes in response to the demands of the people,” a security source, who was not identified, told state news agency MENA.

Battles between protesters and security forces in Cairo – metres away from the ministry’s building – and Suez have left 12 killed and over 2,500 injured in a fresh spate of violence.

The police have erected three concrete barricades around the besieged ministry on Sunday morning in an attempt to contain the protests.

The interior ministry’s decision to transfer the ex-regime figures to five different prisons comes few days after many members in the newly-elected parliament voiced concerns over their presence in one jail.

The parliamentarians believe this allows the detained figures to easily communicate and scheme against the country to stir unrest.

It remains to be seen whether the decision will ease tensions with angry protesters, who said they would not abandon their demand that Egypt’s ruling junta, the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, step down.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/33791.aspx