Egypt military council snubs US aid threat
Ahram Online, Thursday 9 Feb 2012
Ruling military council says NGO case in judiciary's hands, justice ministry has 'damning evidence' against accused groups


Egypt's ruling military council has rejected US threats to end aid payments to the country. US-Egypt tensions have risen considerably following the decision to refer 43 civil society workers to a Cairo court on charges of violating laws regulating the operation of non-governmental organisations (NGOs).

A statement released on the council's official Facebook page stressed that Egypt is a country with a rich heritage that cannot be pressured or blackmailed into doing someone else's bidding. The council also added that Egypt's international relations with the US and others countries were governed by the common interests of both parties, and that "Egypt does not bow to the domination of anyone."

The council also added that the NGO case is in the hands of Egypt's judiciary, which will make the right decision. They also stressed that the Ministry of Justice had found damning evidence against the groups, including maps that feature plans to divide Egypt.

The amount of money that had been pumped into Egypt to spread chaos and disorder was difficult to assess at the moment, the council said, but they referred to statements made recently by El-Sayed El-Badawy, head of the liberal Wafd Party, who claimed that $300 million had been spent in Egypt to cause unrest.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/34047.aspx