Egypt detects 129 new coronavirus cases; 26 deaths on Wednesday
Ahram Online, , Wednesday 12 Aug 2020


Egypt detected 129 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, reporting a total infection tally of .95,963 since the outbreak in mid-February, the health ministry announced.

The ministry also reported 26 new deaths, bringing the total deaths from the virus to 5,085.

The statement said that 1,013 patients have been discharged from hospitals on Wednesday, bringing the total number of recoveries to 55,901.

Egypt urged citizens this week to strictly adhere to preventive measures in anticipation of a rise in coronavirus cases, especially due to the increased gatherings that took place during Eid Al-Adha holiday, which ended earlier this month.

The warning comes amid worries of a resurgence of higher infections due to the holidays, reversing the downward trend of new infections and deaths in recent weeks, which came despite the lifting of lockdown measures at the end of June.

The government said in July that it may resort to adopting the strict preventative measures that it had imposed earlier to fight the coronavirus, including reclosing activities and re-imposing a nighttime curfew if the infection rate rises again.

Egypt’s coronavirus isolation hospitals are set to reopen this week in preparation for a possible second wave of COVID-19, which could possibly hit the country harder than the first wave, manager of Al-Nagila hospital Mohamed Taleb said in televised remarks on Sunday.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/376588.aspx