At least 80 killed in Egypt's fresh unrest: Health Ministry
Ahram Online , Saturday 27 Jul 2013
Health Ministry and Brotherhood officials provide tally of deaths during Saturday violence in Cairo, numbers of injured differ widely


The death toll from Friday and Saturday's clashes in Egypt has risen to 80, according to a Health Ministry official Khaled El-Khatib.

Seventy-two of the casualties fell during violence between police and pro-Morsi supporters on the fringes of a month-long sit-in held by the president's loyalists in northern Cairo.

Eight people were killed in Egypt's Mediterranean city of Alexandria during deadly clashes between loyalists and foes of Egypt's ousted Islamist present Mohamed Morsi.

The official put the tally of injured at 792 nationwide, including 411 in clashes near the pro-Morsi sit-in in Cairo's Nasr City neighborhood.

A spokesman from Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood, Ahmed Aref, said 66 people had been killed and another 61 were on life support machines.

He told reporters that more than 4,000 were wounded by tear gas and bullet or birdshot wounds.

The Brotherhood's official website, however, said at least 200 people had been killed and some 5,000 wounded.

The bloodshed has thrown Egypt into deeper turmoil weeks after the country's Islamist president was overthrown by the army in the wake of mass protests against his rule.

The unrest, resulting from mounting polarisation between factions opposing and supporting Morsi, has claimed the lives of dozens and wounded hundreds since Morsi's expulsion from the presidency.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/77565.aspx