Retrial of 11 accused of Port Said massacre adjourned to October
El-Sayed Gamaledine , Saturday 7 Sep 2013
With the defendants absent from court, the retrial of 11 accused in connection to the Port Said stadium massacre in 2012 is set back to October


Ismailia Criminal Court postponed Saturday the retrial of 11 defendants accused in the “Port Said massacre” case to 4 October.

The court session was adjourned due to the absence of the defendants.

The 11 defendants, who were given sentences ranging from 15 years to life in absentia in January, were granted a retrial date for Saturday after they turned themselves in last week.

On 9 March, Port Said Criminal Court confirmed 21 death sentences handed down 26 January. It also slammed remaining defendants with sentences ranging from life to one year.

Seventy three defendants were standing trial. Twenty-eight, mostly security personnel, were acquitted.

The Port Said massacre refers to the killing of more than 70 Ahly football fans in post-match clashes on 2 February 2012 following an ill-tempered Egyptian Premier League game between the Cairo-based Ahly team and Port Said's Masry club.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/81004.aspx