Last Update 16:47
Tuesday, 19 November 2019
Multimedia
VIDEO: Port Said father devastated as one son receives death sentence, another life imprisonment
Mar
10

Father of two men found guilty of involvement in Port Said disaster tells Ahram Online his sons are innocent and interior minister was behind the violence

On 26 January 2013, Shabaan Mohamed Hassanein was devastated to hear a court sentence his eldest son, Mohamed, and 20 other defendants to death for their role in last year's Port Said disaster. On 9 March, his youngest son, Youssef, was sentenced to life imprisonment for his role in the same crime.

Shabaan admits he and his sons went to the Masry v Ahly match on 1 February 2012, but insists all three of them left the stadium before Masry fans stormed the pitch and 72 Ahly fans were killed in the resulting violence. Shabaan accuses the interior ministry of being behind the massacre.

Turn captions on for English subtitles.

Video by Simon Hanna

| | Share/Bookmark |
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



Guest
10-03-2013 07:25pm
0-
0+
Where is the justice? And who was behind the massacre?
The death sentences/life sentences must be halted. The accused are innocent unless proven to the contrary through sufficient evidence.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment

© 2010 Ahram Online.