Ronaldo silent after Portugal demolition
Ronaldo
Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo walks off the pitch after the 2014 World Cup Group G soccer match between Germany and Portugal at the Fonte Nova arena in Salvador June 16, 2014 (Photo: Reuters)
AFP
Monday 16 Jun 2014
305 Views
World Player of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo stormed past reporters on Monday after tasting defeat for the fourth consecutive time against Germany as Portugal lost 4-0 in their World Cup opener

The 29-year-old Portuguese captain played the full 90 minutes of the Group G clash despite recent injuries, but he was powerless to prevent his side being over-run as Germany's Thomas Mueller scored a hat-trick.

"Three players are down to talk to the media and I am not one of them," he said, brushing off requests for mixed zone interviews at Salvador's Arena Fonte Nova.

The Real Madrid star endured a subdued afternoon with five shots on goal as Portugal failed to make an impact on the German defence.

This was the fourth time Portugal has lost to Germany at major tournaments having been beaten by them at the 2006 World Cup -- in the third place match -- plus both the 2008 and 2012 European championships.

Portugal's record goal-scorer made his 112th international appearance, but failed to add to his goal tally of 49, which includes just two World Cup goals.

On the eve of the match, Ronaldo baulked when asked if his World Cup record -- the Portuguese went out to eventual champions Spain in the last 16 in 2010 -- was the only blot in his stellar career.

"I don't think I have to show anyone anything. If you look at my statistics and CV you'll see that," he said brusquely in Sunday's press conference.

"I have no words for that question, I just have to continue my career, which has been great so far."

Portugal now play the United States on June 22 and 2010 World Cup quarter-finalists Ghana on June 26 in their remaining group games. 





Short link:

 

Add Comment
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.