Last Update 21:38
Friday, 21 July 2017

Egypt's Social Democratic Party apologises for SCAF meet

SDP chief Abou El-Ghar 'truly sorry' for yesterday's meeting with SCAF, says Tantawi's address failed to mention promised concessions

Ahram Online, Wednesday 23 Nov 2011
Abou El-Ghar
Mohamed Abou El-Ghar
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2518
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2518

Egypt's Social Democratic Party (SDP) announced Tuesday night that it was “truly sorry” for participating in a meeting between Sami Anan, vice-president of the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF), and a handful of political figures earlier the same day.

In a statement issued last night following a televised address by SCAF chief Field-Marshal Hussein Tantawi, SDP president Mohamed Abou El-Ghar said Tantawi’s speech had ignored a number of points that had been agreed upon at the meeting.

Abou El-Ghar went on to express his party’s sorrow for the intense gas attacks on Tahrir Square protesters launched shortly after the meeting – a meeting, he noted, that had been intended to put a stop to attacks on protesters.

"It was agreed at the meeting that the violence would stop immediately and that an apology would be issued to the Egyptian people and to the Tahrir Square protesters, and that the injured and dead would be immediately compensated," said Abou El-Ghar.

The party leader went on to say that SCAF officials at the meeting had promised to hold swift trials for security personnel involved in killing or injuring protesters, yet none of this had been mentioned in Tantawi's address.

"After quickly reaching an agreement with the SCAF on this issue, we were surprised when Tantawi's speech did not include any apologies or any reference to compensation or trials,” he said.

Abou El-Ghar concluded the statement saying, "I’m truly sorry for having participated in the meeting with the SCAF."

After police and military units broke up a Tahrir Square sit-in – with unexpected ferocity – on Saturday morning, Egyptian protesters took to the streets in the tens of thousands. Since then, four days of running battles between activists and security forces on the streets of downtown Cairo have left at least 28 dead and thousands injured.

The latest round of violence sparked a nationwide outcry, culminating in a million-man demonstration in the square on Tuesday. Violent confrontations between police and protesters, meanwhile, continue to be reported in a number of governorates, including Alexandria, Suez and Mansoura.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.