UPDATED: Only two dead in North Sinai attack, says army source

Ahram Online , Thursday 13 Nov 2014

Conscript and policeman shot dead by militants in Sheikh Zuweid in the northern Sinai Peninsula

Egypt
An army conscript stands guard in North Sinai (Photo: Reuters)

Two members of the security forces were shot dead in North Sinai on Thursday, not the five originally reported, an anonymous military source has told Al-Ahram Arabic news website.

Militants stopped a bus near Sheikh Zuweid, forced a conscript and a policeman to get off then shot them dead, the source said.

Earlier reports said five conscripts had been shot dead in separate attacks in Rafah and Sheikh Zuweid, both hot spots for militant attacks since the ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in 2013.

On Wednesday, eight navy personnel went missing after an armed attack against a navy boat off the coast of Damietta.

Earlier in November, Sinai witnessed the deadliest attack yet against army forces, when 31 soldiers were killed in a militant raid near the city of Al-Arish.

 

 

 

 

 

Search Keywords:
Short link: