Palestinian shot after stabbing Israeli soldier in Hebron: Israel army

AFP , Saturday 17 Oct 2015

Palestinian protesters run for cover from tear gas fired by Israeli soldiers during clashes with Israeli troops near Ramallah, West Bank, Saturday, Oct. 17, 2015. (Photo:AP)

A Palestinian was shot after stabbing an Israeli soldier in Hebron, in the third such attack Saturday in the occupied West Bank , the Israeli army said.

"A Palestinian assailant stabbed an IDF (army) soldier in Hebron. The soldier was moderately wounded ... The attacker was shot on site," it said in a statement without elaborating on his condition.

Israeli forces have deployed massively in Jerusalem after two weeks of deadly clashes between Palestinians and Israelis in the city and across Israel.

Nearly 40 Palestinians have been killed and hundreds more were wounded in the Israeli crackdown on Arab protesters so far, while seven Israelis died and dozens wounded in clashes.

The protests has sparked fears that a third Palestinian intifada, or uprising against Israeli occupation, could break out.

In the Palestinian uprisings of 1987-1993 and 2000-2005, thousands were killed and many more wounded in near daily violence.

The latest incidents come a day after Palestinians called for a "Friday of revolution" against Israel.

They also follow a Thursday night arson attack on Joseph's Tomb, a shrine in the West Bank city of Nablus which many Jews believe to be the final resting place of the biblical patriarch Joseph.

The shrine, where Muslims believe an Islamic cleric, Sheikh Yussef (Joseph) Dawiqat was buried two centuries ago, is under Palestinian control.

Palestinians have been protesting for weeks against Israel's attempts to build more settlements in east Jerusalem and force out Arab residents of the city that is meant to be a capital for any future Palestinian state.

Palestinians have also been protesting repeated Israeli and illegal Jewish settler attacks on Al-Aqsa mosque and closing the Muslim holy site on a number of occasions to worshippers.

The crisis started in late July when an 18-month old toddler Ali Dawabsha was burned to death and three other Palestinians were severely injured after their house in the occupied West Bank was set on fire by Israeli settlers.

The settlers smashed the windows of two homes in the village of Duma near Nablus and threw Molotov cocktails inside the buildings. Dawabsha died after sustaining serious burns.

The parents of the toddler, Riham and Saad, and their other son Ahmad lost their lives after suffering serious injuries as a result of the attack.

* The story was edited by Ahram Online.

Short link: