Egypt beat Libya in match disrupted by teargas

Omar Zaazou , Friday 29 Jan 2016

Teargas fired by security forces suspends Egypt's friendly with Libya for a few minutes, as the Pharaohs conclude their Aswan training camp

Ali Gabr opened the scoring for Egypt in the first half (Photo: Ahram)

Egypt concluded their training camp in Aswan by beating Libya 2-0 in a match that was halted for a few minutes due to teargas fired by security forces outside the stadium.

Goals were scored by defender Ali Gabr and striker Bassem Morsi either side of the interval, as Egypt gear up for the crucial 2017 Cup of Nations' qualifiers against Nigeria in March.

The main talking point though was the teargas fired by security forces during the first half, prompting a six-minute suspension of the exhibition game - where home fans were allowed to attend in the stands.  

Midway through the opening half, players and referees were seen running towards the tunnel after winger Mahmoud 'Kahraba' seemed to have been affected by what appeared to be teargas during a throw-in.

In a statement to Al-Hayat TV channel, a senior security official stated that a teargas canister was “inadvertently” fired, while maintaining there were some fans outside the stadium.

Meanwhile, Aswan governor Mahmoud Hegazi stated that the reason behind firing the teargas was the attempt by some fans to enter the stadium by force.   

But it was no more than six minutes until the match resumed, with no signs of anything abnormal taking place afterwards.

Gabr, Bassem give Egypt win

It was just few minutes after the game's resumption when Egypt opened the scoring through defender Gabr who headed home Abdallah El-Said's right-wing cross in the 30th minute.

The game was largely a dreary affair, as both teams barely posed threat on goal, with Egypt starting the game with a 4-2-3-1 formation, featuring Kahraba, Ayman Hefni and Moemen Zakareya fielded behind lone striker Marwan Mohsen.

Egypt’s manager Hector Cuper's second-half changes then paid off when substitute striker Bassem Morsi headed his side's second goal from point-blank range following some good work from another sub in Mohamed Nassef down the left.

The Pharaohs were then awarded a penalty after Morsi appeared to have been shoved by an opponent, but the woodwork denied Zakareya from the spot.

Egypt keeper Ahmed El-Shennawi then made a great save deep into stoppage time palming away a long-range shot to keep a clean sheet following his side's 1-0 defeat to Jordan a couple of days ago.  

(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)



Short link: