Foreign ministry following up on case of Egyptian student assaulted in Poland

Ahram Online , Sunday 4 Mar 2018

Ahmed Abu-Zeid
Egypt's Foreign Ministery Spokesman Ahmed Abu-Zeid (Photo: Al-Ahram)

Egypt's Foreign Ministry said on Sunday the country's ambassador is in regular contact with Polish authorities to pursue investigations into the assault incident on an Egyptian student in Warsaw last week.

An Egyptian foreign ministry spokesman also said the country's ambassador to Poland, Hossam El-Kawish, has contacted the student.

"The Egyptian embassy in Warsaw is communicating with Polish authorities in order to pursue investigations that would lead to the arrest of the attackers," the Foreign Ministry's statement said.

The ministry's spokesman Ahmed Abu-Zeid said that the student, Mohammed Ezzat, reported to the Egyptian embassy that he was assaulted by four people upon leaving a friend's house on Saturday the week before.

Ezzat said during a phone call to Al-Naharada state television's morning program that as he was walking down the street last Saturday, a group of young men stopped him and asked for his nationality.

"When I told them I am an Egyptian, I was surprised by a very strong punch below my eye and then they started attacking me," Ezzat said.

"I tried to escape, immediately rushing into a police vehicle that was present nearby and reported the incident to them. However, they didn’t act to arrest the attackers and only called an ambulance for me," he added.

Abu-Zeid added that the student then reported the incident at a police station after receiving treatment.

Ezzat then traveled to Portugal to continue treatment and returned to Poland on Thursday to follow up with police investigations into the incident.

Upon the attack, Ezzat suffered severe facial injuries and temporary loss of sight in one of his eyes.

He expressed gratitude for the response of the Foreign Ministry and affirmed that his condition is getting better after receiving treatment and that he is able to see again with his injured eye.

Last month, 
18-year-old Egyptian student Mariam Abdel-Salam fell into a coma after being punched repeatedly and verbally assaulted by a group of women in a crowded area near the Intu Victoria Centre mall in London.

Short link: