Egypt detects 40 new coronavirus cases, 2 more deaths

Sama Osama , Monday 16 Mar 2020

coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
Egyptians who are traveling abroad wear masks and gather in front of the Egyptian Central Public Health Laboratories as they wait to get tested for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Sheikh Rihan street, downtown Cairo, Egypt March 8, 2020. Picture taken March 8, 2020. (Reuters)

Egypt’s health ministry announced the total number of coronavirus infections has risen to 166 and the deaths to four after the detection on Monday of 40 new cases and two deaths.

Health ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed said there are 35 Egyptians among the new cases and five foreigners from different nationalities.

He added that eight of the cases had returned to Egypt from umra, while the rest were in contact with previously announced cases.

The two new deaths reported on Monday are of a German citizen, 72, in Luxor, and an Egyptian man, 50, from Daqahliya governorate who was in contact with the woman who died from the virus on Thursday.

The ministry spokesman said that three of the positive cases announced today come from the family of the Daqahliya victim.

“All the positive cases are currently in a stable condition in isolation hospitals and are receiving medical care according to the guidelines of the World Health Organisation (WHO),” the statement said, “with the exception of seven moderate cases and two unstable cases.”

The statement added that 26 cases had fully recovered out of 34 cases whose test results have changed from positive to negative.

Health minister Hala Zayed ordered tighter preventive measures in Daqahliya, Damietta, and Minya governorates since they have a large number of contacts with positive cases.

According to Megahed, those measures include increasing the number of epidemiological investigation teams, sanitising governmental and non-governmental establishments, intensifying awareness campaigns, and ensuring self-isolation measures are applied.

Quarantine for 2,752 people in oil company ends

The health ministry said on Monday that the quarantine has ended for workers in Khalda Petroleum in which the second detected coronavirus case, a Canadian national, appeared early March.

Megahed said that 2,752 individuals were monitored inside the company for 14 days as a precaution, 1094 were examined in clinics, and x-rays were performed for 55 individuals.

The ministry said it was sure none of the workers had contracted the virus.

Megahed said that PCR tests were conducted on all the contacts of the company’s workers and the results were all negative.

Short link: