file photo, a banner erected by the Indian army stands near Pangong Tso lake near the India-China border in India's Ladakh area. India’s defense minister said Thursday, Sept. 17, 2020, the country faces challenges in its border dispute with China and urged Beijing to sincerely implement an understanding they reached previously to completely disengage forces in the Ladakh region. Rajnath Singh said in a statement in the upper house of Parliament that China has amassed troops and armaments in Ladakh in violation of bilateral agreements reached in 1990s and it was creating friction by trying unilaterally to alter the status quo in the region through aggressive postures. (AP Photo/Manish Swarup, File)
China and India have agreed to stop sending troops to their border and to avoid any actions that might complicate the situation there, the Chinese defence ministry said on Tuesday.
Military officials from the both countries met on Monday and exchanged ideas on their contested Himalayan border, defence ministry spokesman Wu Qian said. Neither side should take any unilateral action in the region, it was also agreed.
In June, tensions erupted into a frontier clash in which 20 Indian soldiers were killed and China suffered an unspecified number of casualties.
China and India said on Sept. 11 that they had agreed to de-escalate the situation and restore "peace and tranquillity" following a high-level diplomatic meeting in Moscow.
Both sides agreed at the time that troops from both sides should quickly disengage and ease tensions.
Indian and China have fought three wars against each other, in 1962, 1967 and 1987.