The bodies of the four Egyptians, who were found dead in Cyprus early Sunday morning as the result of a huge forest fire, are expected to be repatriated on Saturday evening, Egypt’s Minister of Emigration Nabila Makram said.
Makram extended her sincere thanks and appreciation to the Ministry of Civil Aviation for facilitating the reception of the bodies and their accompanying persons and for finalising the relevant procedures, a statement said.
Makram also thanked the Egyptian Ministry of Justice, as well as to the Egyptian Embassy in Cyprus, for all the efforts made to follow up the situation and overcome any obstacles encountered in completing the necessary procedures.
The minister offered condolences to the victims' families, the statement noted.
The victims’ corpses were found close to Odou, a mountainous village in the Larnaca District of Cyprus, according to Reuters.
The blaze, which Cypriot officials described as the "worst and most destructive" in decades, broke out last Saturday morning.
The blaze has caused "loss of life" and destroyed property and forest lands, Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades tweeted earlier last week.