Egypt's forward Mohamed Salah (L) fights for the ball with DR Congo's forward Elia Meschak during the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (CAN) football match between Egypt and DR Congo at the Cairo International Stadium on June 26, 2019 AFP
Here is the full draw of the 2021 African Cup of Nations. Thanks for following our live updates!
Group A: Cameroon, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Cape Verde
Group B: Senegal, Zimbabwe, Guinea, Malawi
Group C: Morocco, Ghana, Comoros, Gabon
Group D: Nigeria, Egypt, Sudan, Guinea-Bissau
Group E: Algeria, Sierra Leone, Equatorial Guinea, Cote d'ivoire
Group F: Tunisia, Mali, Mauritania, Gambia
The draw's ceremony is underway
* Hosts Egypt suffered a shocking elimination from the 2019 African Cup of Nations round of 16 after the 1-0 loss to South Africa. The stunning elimination marked Egypt's worst-ever performance as hosts. They won the tournament three times as hosts in 1959,1986 and 2006, losing in the semi-final in 1974.
* Seven-time African champions Egypt came in Pot 2 alongside Ghana, Ivory Coast, Mali, Burkina Faso and Guinea
* The four Pots are:
Pot 1: Cameroon, Algeria, Senegal, Tunisia, Morocco, Nigeria
Pot 2: Egypt, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Mali, Burkina Faso, Guinea
Pot 3: Cap Verde, Gabon, Mauritania, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe, Guinea Bissau
Pot 4: Malawi, Sudan, Eqatorial Guinea, Comoros, Ethiopia, Gambia
* Based on this ranking, the top four teams are allocated to Pot 1 along with the hosts, Cameroon, and the title holder Algeria. The remaining 18 teams are allocated to the three remaining pots – 2, 3 and 4 – according to their ranking in descending order.
* The six pots representing the groups will be labelled groups A to F.
* According to CAF's official website, the draw will be held at Yaounde Conference Centre and will see the 24 participating teams divided into six groups of four teams each, based on the FIFA ranking released on 12 August 2021
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)