In a statement, the Egyptian Armed Forces said it “is closely following up on the events taking place inside Sudan” following the eruption of clashes between the Sudanese Army forces (SAF) and the Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) since early Saturday.
The Egyptian Armed Forces “is coordinating with the concerned parties in Sudan to ensure securing the Egyptian troops who were conducting joint training with their Sudanese counterparts,” the statement added without adding more details.
The Egyptian Armed Forces statement was issued shortly after the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), which is led by Mohamed Hamdan “Hemedti” Dagalo, released a video on its official Twitter account showing several personnel wearing Egyptian military fatigue who were purportedly apprehended at Marawi airbase in the north of Sudan.
On Saturday morning, fighting broke out between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the RSF in Khartoum and elsewhere in Sudan amid soaring tensions in the country, which were triggered by the RSF deployment of its forces in Marawi on Wednesday.
On Saturday evening, Hemedti told Al-Arabiya that the RSF is working to repatriate the Egyptian troops back to Egypt as soon as possible.
Earlier in the evening, in separate statements to Sky News Arabia, Hemedti said that the Egyptian troops who are in the Marawi Airport are safe.