Egypt's Armed Forces coordinating with relevant Sudanese parties to secure return of all Egyptian soldiers from Sudan: Spox

Ahram Online , Wednesday 19 Apr 2023

The Egyptian Armed Forces said on Wednesday they are coordinating with the various Sudanese parties to ensure the safe return of all the Egyptian army personnel from Sudan.

Egyptian Armed Forces  Spokesman Gharib Abdel-Hafez. File photo
Egyptian Armed Forces Spokesman Gharib Abdel-Hafez. File photo


This comes in light of recent media reports about the return of the Egyptian Armed Forces’ personnel, who were engaged in a joint training with the Sudanese forces in accordance with the protocol signed between the two states, said the Egyptian Armed Forces’ Spokesman Gharib Abdel-Hafez in a statement.

“The Egyptian Armed Forces stress that they are fully coordinating with the various competent authorities in the sisterly state of Sudan to secure the safe return of all the Armed Forces personnel to homeland,” the Spokesman said.

A subsequent detailed statement will be issued, Abdel-Hafez added.

The Egyptian forces had been stuck at the Marawi airport since Saturday amid the ongoing clashes between the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and the Sudanese Armed Forces.

Earlier on Wednesday, the RSF said the Egyptian soldiers – who the Egyptian Armed Forces’ spokesman has previously said were in Sudan for training purposes – have been relocated from Marawi airport to the Sudanese capital Khartoum.

The RSF reassured at the time the Egyptian government and the families of the soldiers that they are safe and sound and receiving the necessary care.

The world has been calling for the halt of violence in Sudan amid clashed between the Sudanese Armed Forces led by Abdel-Fattah Al-Burhan and his deputy, Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, aka Hemedti, who commands the paramilitary RSF.

Since then, around 300 people have been killed in Sudan, 3,000 have been injured, and thousands of Sudanese have fled Khartoum, where the clashes started.

The fighting between the army and paramilitaries raged for a fifth day after a 24-hour truce collapsed.

Short link: