Egypt media regulator to investigate Mada Masr over 'false news' on Palestinian displacement

Ahram Online , Sunday 15 Oct 2023

Egypt's Supreme Council for Media Regulation (SCMR) has referred the officials of the news website Mada Masr for investigation over publishing “false news” claiming that the country would allow the displacement of some Palestinians.

Karam Gabr
Head of the Supreme Council for Media Regulation Karam Gabr. Al-Ahram

 

In a statement on Sunday, the council said it has received multiple complaints accusing the website of publishing “inflammatory reports that undermine Egypt's national security citing unidentified and unreliable sources.”

Such reports contravene media ethics, professionalism, and credibility, the SCMR said following an urgent meeting earlier today.

“The bureau of Supreme Council for Media Regulation decided to refer officials of Mada Masr website for investigation and notify the prosecutor general if violations and publishing of false news are confirmed,” read the statement.

The complaints received by the SCMR indicated that the Egyptian state -- represented by the President, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, and senior officials -- had reaffirmed its longstanding commitment not to allow the undermining of the Palestinian cause or the displacement of Palestinians from their lands, the statement added.

“Not a single Egyptian official has spoken about the displacement, which Egypt rejects altogether,” the SCMR added.

A day after the report was published, Mada Masr issued an apology on its Facebook page Sunday, saying: “After reviewing the report, we felt that its headline leaves room for interpretations that diverge from its content”.

“For that reason, we have decided to change the headline and are notifying you, our readers, accordingly. We apologise for any confusion,” read the statement.

During a phone-in with Extra News channel on Sunday, Karam Gabr, the SCMR head, reiterated Egypt's unwavering commitment to upholding the Palestinian cause and protecting the rights of Palestinians to remain on their land.

He added that Mada Masr’s reports as “inaccurate, lack credibility, and do not meet the standards of professionalism and media ethics.”

Earlier today, Egypt's National Security Council stressed that a "two-state solution is the only resolution to the Palestinian cause while rejecting and deploring the policy of displacement or attempts to liquidate the Palestinian cause at the expense of neighbouring countries."

Furthermore, last week, President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi stated that the Palestinian people in the Gaza Strip must "stay steadfast and remain on their land."

He cautioned against the liquidation of the Palestinian cause, underscoring Egypt's commitment to alleviating the burdens faced by the Palestinians.

According to the UN, an estimated one million people have been displaced in the first seven days of the conflict in Gaza.

Short link: