A screen shot of the Google form used by the ministry.
The stranded Egyptians need to fill out the form with accurate personal information – including passport, national ID card, birth certificate, marriage contract and other relevant documents – to expedite their repatriation process.
According to the form’s instructions, the applicant must be an Egyptian citizen and submit their application first, followed by separate application form/s for each family member.
Ahmed Abu-Zeid, a spokesperson for the foreign ministry, said the move aims to ensure a swift and efficient procedure by centralizing repatriation request registration through a single mechanism, according to a statement on Saturday.
Previously, the requests were handled via a WhatsApp number and an email dedicated by the Egyptian representation office in the Palestinian Authority in Ramallah and the consular sector of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The ministry urged Egyptian citizens in Gaza to utilize this new mechanism as the sole means of submitting return requests, cautioning against fraudulent activities and exploitation of the challenging circumstances in Gaza.
The statement assured the Egyptian authorities’ commitment to ensuring the safe return of Egyptian citizens and their families from the Gaza Strip in light of the ongoing violent military actions in the region.
The ministry said once the data is received, a comprehensive list will be compiled and delivered directly to those in charge of the Rafah border crossing from the Egyptian and Palestinian sides to facilitate the crossing of citizens from the Gaza Strip into Egyptian territory.
On Friday, the foreign ministry asserted that Cairo is solely responsible for the repatriation of Egyptians in the Gaza Strip, rejecting claims in the media that Israel would be able to approve or deny their return.