New Israeli airstrike on Bekaa Valley kills one Lebanese despite truce

Ahram Online , Wednesday 22 Apr 2026

An Israeli strike on Lebanon's Bekaa region killed one person and wounded two others on Wednesday, Lebanese state media reported, in another Israeli violation of the truce agreement.

lebanon
Mourners hold up portraits of Hezbollah fighters killed before a 10-day ceasefire was agreed lebanon during a mass funeral procession in the southern village of Kfar Sir. AFP

 

"One person was killed and two others were wounded as a result of an attack carried out by an enemy drone at dawn on the outskirts of Al-Jabur in West Bekaa," Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported.

Hezbollah on Tuesday said it had launched rockets and attack drones at a site in northern Israel in response to blatant Israeli ceasefire violations, which included attacks on civilians and the destruction of their homes and villages.

NNA on Wednesday reported Israeli artillery shelling and demolitions in southern towns that Israel currently occupies.

Since March 2, Israel has intensified its bombing campaign across Lebanon and sent more troops to invade the south.

Since then, Israeli attacks have killed at least 2,454 people and wounded thousands of others, and displaced more than 1.2 million civilians.

Moreover, the Israeli occupation army announced on Sunday establishing a so-called "Yellow Line" in southern Lebanon near the border, mirroring the model it used to partition the Gaza Strip and formally defining its occupied territory since the ceasefire began.

Truce and talks
 

The Israeli violations of the truce between Tel Aviv and Beirut, brokered in Washington last week and in effect since Friday, come as Israeli and Lebanese officials are set to hold a second round of negotiations on Thursday.

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said that planned talks with Israel aim to end hostilities and the occupation in southern Lebanon.

In a televised speech on Friday, Aoun stated, "I hereby affirm... that there will be no agreement that infringes upon our national rights, diminishes the dignity of our steadfast people, or relinquishes an iota of this nation's soil".

He declared a "new phase" following the ceasefire, focusing on converting it into permanent agreements that protect Lebanon's unity and sovereignty.

President Aoun emphasized that direct negotiations with Israel are "not a sign of weakness" but a necessary step to secure peace, stop aggression, and ensure the withdrawal of Israeli forces from southern Lebanon.

He stressed that the Lebanese Army would play a central role in extending state authority over all territory, asserting that Lebanon is "no longer an arena for others' wars".

However, Hezbollah has called on the Lebanese government to end any direct negotiations with Israel and refused making any concessions to Tel Aviv.

A senior Hezbollah official, Mahmud Qamati, stated: “Defeated, you go to the Israelis and Americans—let’s see what you will get out of it."

Meanwhile, Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan Fadlallah told AFP news agency that it would be in Aoun’s interest to withdraw from direct talks and return to a national understanding, adding that the group wants the current ceasefire to continue. 

“We will reject and confront any attempt to impose political costs on Lebanon through concessions made to this Israeli enemy,” he said, while affirming the group’s support for maintaining the ceasefire alongside an Israeli withdrawal.

"The attempt by the Israeli army to establish a buffer zone, under the title of a defensive line, a yellow line, a green line, and a red line... all these lines will be broken, and we will not accept any of them," Fadlallah added.

Fadlallah vowed that "no one in Lebanon or abroad will be able to disarm the resistance".

Short link: