Last Update 15:37
Wednesday, 28 July 2021

Said police brutality case postponed as forensic doctors are accused of forgery

Case is postponed as forensic doctors that reported on Khaled Said, a youth allegedly tortured to death by Egyptian police, are accused of forgery

Ahram Online , Saturday 21 May 2011
Khaled Saeed
Khaled Saeed, the most famous police brutality victim in Egypt

Alexandria’s criminal court on Saturday postponed the case to 30 June against the two policemen, Mahmoud Salah Mahmoud and Awad Ismael Soliman, accused of torturing to death 28-year-old Khaled Said. 

The officers’ defence provided the court today with the plastic drug wrap of marijuana, which they claimed Said had swallowed and caused his death. There are two versions of the story on Said’s detention at a local Alexandrian café he frequented: one claiming he had resisted the policemen because he was hiding drugs and the more popular account that he had simply resisted as a protest against their abuse of authority.

Said’s family lawyer filed a complaint against the former head of forensics, El-Sebai Ahmed El-Sebai, as well as the forensic doctor that wrote the report, accusing them of falsifying the documents, claiming that Said had swallowed a plastic bag filled with marijuana.

Said’s family also filed a request for the formation of a committee of forensics professors to examine the three reports of Said’s death. The first two reports were presented by the state forensic department, while the third by a specialist requested by Said’s family.

The case against the policemen allegedly involved in Said’s torture and death has already been postponed various times.

Khaled Said’s death triggered popular outrage across Egypt when pictures of him, grotesquely beaten, circulated throughout social media sites after his death on 6 June, 2010.

A Facebook group called “We are all Khaled Said” organised several demonstrations condemning the kind of rough-handling, detention and torture of citizens exemplified by Said’s death. The Facebook group gained tens of thousands of members and, inspired by the Tunisian revolution, the admins of that Facebook group were the ones who called for the 25 January demonstrations which later snowballed to become the 18 days sit-in that ousted Mubarak after 30 years of dictatorship.

Short link:



© 2010 Ahram Online.