Egypt reported nine new deaths on Tuesday, its highest toll in a single day since the first case was detected in the country in mid-February, as well as 128 new cases, bringing the total to 1,450 cases and a death toll of 94 nationwide.
Health ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed said all of the new cases were citizens who had returned from abroad or who were in contact with previously detected positive cases.
Seventeen cases have recovered from the virus, bringing the total cleared cases to 276, out of 427 cases who have retested negative.
Health Minister Hala Zayed has said mild coronavirus cases in patients under 50 would be transferred from Wednesday to university campuses and student accommodation under the full medical supervision of the ministry.
The transfer will take place only after the cases end a five-day treatment period under the ministry’s treatment protocol.
She said the designated areas have been equipped with the most advanced medical equipment in terms of stay and sterilisation, with clinics for follow up, laboratories and radiology units.
“This comes under the state’s plan and efforts by the armed forces, health ministry, higher education ministry, social solidarity ministry and youths and sports ministry to combat the disease,” Zayed added.
Egypt is bracing for a curfew extension this week after it surpassed the milestone of 1,000 coronavirus cases on Saturday.
The increase in cases has come despite unprecedented restrictions to stem the spread of the virus amid fears that the medical facilities in the country, which has a population of 100 million people, will be overwhelmed.