The suspension of international flights at all Egyptian airports will continue “until further notice,” according to a decree by PM Mostafa Madbouly detailing the anti-coronavirus measures the country is taking following Eid Al-Fitr.
Egypt is keeping its airspace open to cargo and domestic flights, during the flight suspension, which has been in place since mid-March.
Egypt is just operating flights to repatriate its citizens abroad and has returned home at least 12,000 Egyptians so far.
The decree mainly covers measures to be applied after Eid Al-Fitr, with the curfew revised again to begin at 8 pm to 6 am starting May 30 for two weeks, marking the gradual reopening of a country heavily affected by the pandemic's repercussions.
Tuesday’s decree comes days after Egypt said it will impose stricter measures during the Eid religious holiday, including extending its curfew hours and a full suspension of public transportation to stem the spread of the coronavirus.
The nationwide curfew will begin at 5 pm instead of the current 9 pm starting next Sunday – expected to be the first day of Eid – until Friday.
All shops, malls, beaches and parks will be completely shut, Madbouly said, adding that public transportation will be suspended throughout the six-day period, which runs until 29 May.
Travel between governorates will also be suspended, the PM announced.
Egypt reported 535 new coronavirus infections on Monday, the highest daily rise since the pandemic hit the country in mid-February, bringing the total number of cases to 12,764. It also reported 15 fatalities, bringing the total number of deaths to 645.