File photo of Egypt and Liverpool star Mohamed Salah (AFP)
A preventive medicine and monitoring committee by the health ministry will be dispatched to the hometown of Egypt and Liverpool winger Mohamed Salah after the player tested positive for coronavirus, days after attending a crowded family wedding in a scene deemed controversial.
In press statements to Al-Ahram Arabic news website, Abdel Naser Hemeda, the health ministry’s undersecretary at Gharbeya governorate, said the team will conduct swabs to all family members or residents of the village believed to have contracted Salah during the wedding.
The official’s statements came hours after Salah tested positive again for the COVID-19 after undergoing a second swab on the eve of Egypt’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Togo, the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) said.
The EFA had announced earlier on Friday that the 28-year old had tested positive for COVID-19 as part of the routine PCR test conducted before the games.
Salah arrived in Egypt on Monday to join the Egyptian national team camp ahead of Togo’s game and trained first with the team on Tuesday.
He attended his brother’s wedding on Monday in Cairo where he was seen in pictures and video footage dancing in the ceremony while surrounded by the audience, sparking criticism on social media for poor adherence to measures against the virus.
He was also awarded the Inspirer award by the EFA in a ceremony held on Wednesday