Egypt's health ministry denied rumors about a shortage of medical supplies in governmental hospitals amid the Coronavirus crisis, the cabinet's media center said in an official statement on Sunday.
According to an official statement, the cabinet said it was responding to reports by some news websites and social media pages about claims of a shortage of medical supplies in conjunction with the second wave of the Coronavirus pandemic.
The health ministry confirmed a continuous follow-up and monitoring of availability of sufficient strategic stock of medical supplies takes place on a daily basis, through a designated electronic system that tracks any shortage.
In related news, the ministry said it established a crisis room to follow up on the workflow in hospitals in order to provide medical teams with clinical support through medical consultations and treatment protocols, as well as following up on the application of infection control protocols.
The ministry highlighted its tools to manage the pandemic, as it depends on a 24-hour basis central operating room tasked with monitoring the coronavirus developments nationwide, and an automated network linked to the operating room that connects each of the hospital administrations, ambulance services, and the hotline.
Training programs have been provided for medical teams on duty in fever, chest, and isolation hospitals, in addition to means of support for the medical teams, while eliminating any obstacles or challenges that they may face.
The cabinet called on media outlets to ensure accuracy and objectivity before spreading news, and to communicate with the concerned authorities to fact check information.
Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly warned last week that the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic, currently striking several countries globally, is more widespread and dangerous than the first one.
Madbouly reiterated the importance of abiding by virus-related preventative measures in various workplaces amid a spike in the rate of infections that the country has been witnessing since early November.
Egypt has made wearing facemasks in public places mandatory since 30 May, with violators facing hefty fines of up to EGP 4,000. This month, the government decided to shut facilities that do not comply with the precautionary measures for three days.