The Egyptian foreign ministry said on Friday that it completely rejects the statement that was issued earlier by several Western countries at the UN Human rights council in Geneva.
“The foreign ministry completely rejected what the statement included from claims based on inaccurate information.” The foreign ministry said, expressing its astonishment and disapproval of not using facts and information, clarifying to these countries the human rights situation in Egypt.
The Egyptian foreign ministry stressed in its statement on the need for a thorough review for “such rejected speech,” calling on those countries to stop directing accusations that only express biased political orientation that includes fallacies without ground.
The ministry also slammed the statement and said it did not take in to account the comprehensive Egyptian efforts in the field of human rights on all its political, economic and social aspects and what has been achieved in that regard during the past years.
The foreign ministry announced that Egypt - through its mission in Geneva - was scheduled to deliver a statement before the Human Rights Council, which will shed light on the human rights violations within those countries that issued the joint statement.
“The ministry of foreign affairs also reaffirms that the issue of human rights involves a process of permanent development in which no country has reached the point of perfection, and no country can establish itself as a resident or arbiter in this regard,” said the statement.
Earlier on Friday, the United States, which has observer status at the UN Human Rights Council, was among 31 signatories of the joint statement on Egypt - the first since 2014 - calling on the Egyptian government to lift curbs on freedoms of expression and assembly.
Most of the signatory countries are European, joined by Australia, Canada and New Zealand.