Protesters hold up a caricature of ousted president Hosni Mubarak carrying ''people's money'' in Tahrir Square, Cairo, April 8, 2011.REUTERS/Asmaa Waguih
Former president Hosni Mubarak is expected to stand before the investigation authorities in Sinai later today, in the first hearing session over charges leveled against him for illicit profiteering and abusing his powers during his rule of Egypt from 1981 until he was forced to step down on 11 February this year.
Mubarak, a source in Sharm El-Sheikh told Ahram Online on Tuesday afternoon, flew out of his residence over the Red Sea, where he is under house arrest, to stand before the investigation authorities in the South Sinai capital of Al-Tor. The source did not specify whether Mubarak will have to attend one or more sessions.
Meanwhile, an official source told Ahram Online that the investigative sessions for Mubarak's two businessmen sons, Alaa and Gamal, is set to take place in Cairo at an undisclosed venue. "This is a legal process and it is not a process of vendetta; we are following the law with everybody with no exception. But we have to secure the safety of every citizen," he said.
Earlier, sources close to the Mubarak family told Ahram Online that ousted president Hosni Mubarak left Egypt to Al Huseein Hospital in Amman, Jordan. However, medical sources at the hospital denied admitting the ousted president.
Diplomatic sources said that an invitation had been extended by the Jordanians for Mubarak to recieve medical treatment in Amman, but the offer was turned down by Egypt as it contravenes the terms of his house arrest.
Saudi Arabia, according to Egyptian, Arab and Western officials and diplomats, is offering a generous economic assistance package to Egypt in return for a health amnesty be offered to Mubarak.
The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces has so far declined to accept the offer, but Riyadh is said to be persisting.
Two days ago, Mubarak gave a recorded statement to Al Arabiya news channel claiming that he and his wife did not have any assets or accounts in their names outside of Egypt.
His statement inflamed popular anger after last Friday's "Day of Cleansing" called for his trial.
Activists have been mobilising for a "million man" march to Sharm El-Sheikh if their demands for him to be tried are not met.
Additional reporting Ahmed Eleiba