A Saudi citizen and a Yemeni resident were killed as a military projectile landed in Samtah governorate in Jazan region on Friday, Lt. Col. Mohammed Al-Hammad, the official spokesperson for the Saudi General Directorate of Civil Defense said.
Flying shrapnel from the projectile, which fell on a commercial store in the governorate, also injured six Saudi citizens and a Bangladeshi resident and damaged two shops and 12 vehicles.
“Egypt reaffirms its support and solidarity with the kingdom in facing such despicable terrorist attacks that represent a flagrant violation of the international law and a blatant threat to security and stability in the region,” the Egyptian foreign ministry said in a statement.
The ministry also reiterated Egypt’s support to the measures taken by the kingdom to protect the Saudi security and stability, highlighting the firm link between the national security of both countries.
“The Egyptian government and people also extend condolences and sympathy to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the relatives of the innocent victims, wishing the injured a speedy recovery,” the ministry added.
The Iran-backed Houthi militias have launched a total of 702 attacks against Saudi Arabia during the first nine months of 2021, more than double their pace last year, said a report by the Washington-based think tank Center for Strategic and International Studies on Tuesday.
Yemen's civil war began in 2014 when the Houthis took Sanaa and much of the northern part of the country, forcing an Arab coalition led by Saudi Arabia to intervene.
The war in Yemen has deteriorated into a stalemate, killing more than 130,000 people, civilians and fighters, and spawning the world's worst humanitarian crisis.