Egypt condemns Israeli shelling of the Qatar Committee for the Reconstruction of Gaza headquarters

Zeinab El-Gundy , Monday 13 Nov 2023

Egypt's Ministry of Foreign Affairs condemned in a statement on Monday the Israeli occupation forces' shelling of the headquarters of the Qatar Committee for the Reconstruction of Gaza.

MAIN
The photo of the headquarters of the Qatar Committee for the Reconstruction of Gaza after the Israeli shelling and vandalization on Monday as shared in Israeli Telegram groups. Photo : Telegram

 

“This represents a clear extension of Israel's violations of international law, which stipulates the necessity to protect civilians and refrain from targeting civilian facilities,” the statement said.

Earlier on Monday, a photo went viral on Israeli Telegram groups showing the building of the committee in the aftermath of the shelling and a “Star of David” graffiti along with Hebrew words “Nova Hotel” drawn on its walls.

“Egypt considers the bombing of a significant headquarters of a sister Arab state, which plays a fundamental role in supporting the efforts to rebuild the Gaza Strip, incompatible with humanitarian principles and unjustifiable under any false pretexts or rationales,” the Egyptian Foreign Ministry said.

The statement added that Egypt expressed its solidarity and full support for Qatar against this brutal attack. 

Egypt also renewed its call for the international community to assume its responsibilities in putting an end to the Israeli attacks in the Gaza Strip, said the statement. 

Furthermore, Egypt emphasized in the statement the need when it comes to violations to call a spade a spade and hold the perpetrators accountable without equivocation.

Egypt and Qatar are currently leading the talks on releasing Israeli captives.

In October, the Egyptian-Qatari mediation efforts succeeded in releasing two Israeli captives.

The two countries also contributed to the reconstruction of Gaza following an Israeli offensive in 2021 that demolished 1,650 housing units and caused damage to 60,000 other housing units.

In May of last year, Egypt’s President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi pledged $500 million to rebuild Gaza after an Egypt-brokered ceasefire stopped an 11-day Israeli assault on the strip that killed 250 Palestinians and caused financial losses estimated at $450 million.

Before the current war, Egypt had been building three towns to house around 300,000 residents. 

Qatar also pledged $500 million for Gaza’s reconstruction, and the United States announced it was allocating $110 million in new economic assistance to the Palestinian people, including $5.5 million for immediate relief to the strip.

Short link: