Ezzat Abu Zaid, the head of the Administrative Prosecution Authority. Al-Ahram.
Villagers discovered the packages of the Chinese vaccine in a canal in the Abshaq villages near Beni Mazar town on Thursday.
The residents shared photos of the discarded doses on social media, creating an uproar among users.
The prosecution ordered the seizure of the doses, a statement by the Egyptian Administrative Prosecution said on Friday without specifying the number in question.
Meanwhile, Minya Governor Osama Al-Kadi said the authorities are comparing the seized doses against the logs of vaccines which have been stored in the governorate's health directorates.
MP Ahmed Hetta, a parliamentary representative of the governorate, has submitted an urgent request to the House of Representatives speaker to hold a hearing on the incident, calling on Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly and Health Minister Hala Zayed to promptly disclose the causes and circumstances surrounding the matter.
The health ministry is currently operating nearly 17 vaccination centres in Minya, including Beni Mazar town, as part of 1,100 centres nationwide.
The ministry has fully vaccinated more than 7 million citizens since a nationwide innoculation campaign started in January by using the Sinopharm jabs, according to the latest official count.
Egypt is currently administrating Sinopharm, Sinovac, AstraZeneca, Sputnik and Johnson & Johnson vaccines, and is also set to receive Pfizer BioNTech vaccine doses
Egypt has so far obtained 60 million doses of different vaccines and the country is in talks with several international bodies to obtain more doses to reach its target of vaccinating 40 million people by December.