Fire erupts at church in Upper Egypt due to short circuit - statement

Ahram Online , Tuesday 16 Aug 2022

A fire erupted Tuesday at a church in Upper Egypt's governorate of Minya due to an electrical short circuit, with no causalities reported, according to the Ministry of Interior.



In its statement, the Ministry of Interior said the fire that took place at the Anba Bishoy Church in New Minya City resulted from an electrical short circuit in one of the building’s unused halls according to church officials and witness accounts.

The Public Prosecution issued a statement saying that they were investigating the incident.

Governor of Minya Osama El-Qaday said in a media statement after visiting the church Tuesday afternoon that the fire took place in the first floor and did not spread to other floors.

Egypt’s Orthodox Coptic Church issued a statement on the incident stating that the blaze destroyed all the contents of the church without causing any casualties.

Only one person suffered from asphyxiation due to the smoke; he was treated on site and did not need to be hospitalised, according to Ministry of Health Spokesperson Hossam Abdel-Ghaffar.

He added that four ambulances were dispatched to the church; in addition, Minya General Hospital, Minya University Hospital and Health Insurance Hospital were put on alert in case of emergency.

Abdel-Ghaffar stated the ambulances arrived at the church within six minutes of receiving the call, adding that the fire was reported at 2:30pm.

Anba Bishoy church was inaugurated in June 2019.

On Sunday, a huge fire killed 41 people and injured 14 others in Abu Seifin Church in Giza governorate’s Imbaba district. According to the forensic examination the fire was resulted from an electrical short circuit.


Search Keywords:
Short link: