Egypt’s Catholics celebrate Christmas

Ahram Online , Sunday 24 Dec 2023

Egypt’s Catholics started celebrating Christmas on the eve of 25 December.

main
Egypt s Catholics and Anglicans celebrate Christmas

 

Christmas mass started in several churches belonging to Catholic denominations at 8 pm and will end at midnight. 

Unlike Western denominations that celebrate Christmas on 25 December, Egypt's Coptic Orthodox Christians and  Evangelicals celebrate Christmas on 7 January due to their use of the Julian calendar.

Egyptian Christians are mostly Coptic Orthodox, with a small minority of Catholics and Evangelicals.

Coptic Orthodox Christians are believed to make up around 98 percent of Egyptian Christians, with the remaining 2 percent being Catholics, Evangelicals, and Orthodox and Catholic Armenians.

Short link: