File Photo: Egyptian judges protest outside Egypt's High Court, 3 June 2013 (Photo: Osman El-Sharnoubi)
Judges and prosecutors have submitted a notarised warning to the Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim and the head of security in Damietta over the kidnap of a prosecutor.
Beni Suef prosecutor Ahmed Omar Mohamed Breik was kidnapped when travelling to Manzala in Damietta on Saturday.
The legal committee for the defence of judges and members of the prosecution accused the interior ministry of failing to find the kidnappers.
Meanwhile, the kidnappers were able to detect the phone call made by Breik’s father when he reported the incident to the police.
Breik's father said he paid the ransom after he lost faith in the interior ministry's ability to rescue his son.
The warning also accused the interior minister of negligence for his failure to secure the road on which the kidnap took place.
Police and soldiers are being assassinated by armed gangs, courts are being torched and judges assaulted, the warning continued.
The judges committee said it would take legal action against Ibrahim unless the kidnappers are caught and the ransom returned within one week.
Egypt has suffered a security vacuum since the 2011 revolution.
The situation has worsened since the ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July 2013. Over 400 members of the security forces have been killed since then.