Still from leaked video of statement by hunger striker Abdullah El-Shamy
A court session to determine the fate of Al-Jazeera journalist Abdullah El-Shamy – currently on a hunger strike to protest his detention since August 2013 – has been postponed to 11 June by a Cairo criminal court.
In the session next Wednesday, the court will determine whether El-Shamy is to be released or his detention renewed.
El-Shamy was arrested while covering the violent dispersal of the pro-Mohamed Morsi protest camp held in Cairo's Rabaa Al-Adaweya Square last August. His detention has been continually renewed ever since, with his case not yet referred to court.
Reports surfaced last month that El-Shamy has lost a third of his body weight as a result of an ongoing hunger strike he initiated on 21 January, more than 100 days ago.
Meanwhile, a fact-finding committee commissioned by outgoing interim President Adly Mansour to look into the events after the 30 June 2013 protests held a press conference on Thursday to declare that El-Shamy is in good health.
Omar Marawan, head of the committee, also said that El-Shamy is not being jailed for political reasons.
El-Shamy's family said they visited him on Wednesday and stressed that he is still on a hunger strike.
Last week, a number of activists began a hunger strike in solidarity with the detained journalist.