Badr Abdel-Aty, foreign affairs ministry spokesman (Photo: Al-Ahram)
Egypt's foreign ministry has condemned the raids launched by Israeli forces in Gaza and called for Israel to open dialogue with Palestine to broker a solution, according to a ministerial statement released on Tuesday.
The attacks left 13 people killed and at least 90 injured, according to AFP.
Spokesman for Egypt's foreign ministry Badr Abdel-Aty stressed the seriousness of the current situation and urged Israel to halt all military raids targeting the Gaza Strip and to stop the collective punishment of the Palestinian people in order to not slip into a circle of violence.
"The spokesperson stresses the importance of an Israeli initiative for direct communication with the Palestinian government to work on solutions that satisfy both parties," the statement read.
Abdel-Aty also said that Egypt is making all necessary communications to spare the Palestinian people from the woes of Israeli attacks, adding that Egypt holds the Israeli side responsible for the lives of Palestinian civilians, in accordance with the Geneva Conventions and the rules of international law.
The latest flare-up came a day after Israel arrested six Jewish extremists in connection with the killing of a Palestinian teenager in a suspected revenge crime after last month's abduction and murder of three Israeli youths in the West Bank.
During the investigation, three of the suspects admitted to the murder in which the victim was kidnapped and burned alive, an official close to the investigation told AFP.
The 2 July killing sparked five days of violent clashes in annexed East Jerusalem and in Arab towns across Israel, with police arresting hundreds of people.
Meanwhile, Egypt's Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry will be leaving for the Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah on Thursday to discuss the current Palestinian crisis with the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation.
Relations between Egypt's interim authorities and Gaza rulers Hamas have been tense since the ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July, 2013 which was followed by a surge in militant attacks against Egyptian security forces across Egypt.
Authorities blame the attacks on Islamist militants, whom they claim have received support and training from the now-banned Muslim Brotherhood and its Palestinian affiliate Hamas.
Hamas has denied any links to those attacks.