Two Egyptians died while attempting to illegally migrate to Italy aboard a small boat along with several others, state news agency MENA reported on Sunday.
The two bodies, whose identities remain unknown, were picked up from the Mediterranean waters at dawn on Saturday.
Another person was rescued and captured -- along with 19 others -- by Egypt's border guards off the country’s northern coast near the port city of Rashid, state news agency MENA said.
Hundreds of Egyptians in quest for better job opportunities have been caught in similar attempts to migrate to Italy over the past few years. Many have died in boat accidents.
The United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) estimates that more than 500 migrants have died in the Mediterranean so far this year, up from 700 during the whole of last year.
On Saturday, 19 people travelling from North Africa died -- probably due to inhalation of engine fumes -- while trying to reach Italy on a boat packed with hundreds of migrants, said the Italian navy, which has reportedly rescued more than 4,000 migrants in the last three days.