Mubarak to address court for the first time on August 13

Ahram Online, Monday 4 Aug 2014

Longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak and his former interior minister are to speak to the court regarding charges of killing protesters in 2011

File Photo: Egypt's ousted president Hosni Mubarak sits inside a dock in April at the Police Academy on the outskirts of Cairo (Photo: Reuters)

Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak is to address the court for the first time on Wednesday 13 August in a trial that he faces along with ex-interior minister Habib El-Adly and six of his aides on charges of killing protesters during the 2011 uprising.

The speech will mark Mubarak's first direct speech to the court since April 2011.

His last audio speech was aired on Al-Arabiya news channel in April 2011, two months after he stepped down, to deny that he stole billions of dollars from the country's funds.

Several of Mubarak's private conversations were also leaked last year.

Mubarak's two sons, Alaa and Gamal, each of whom have received four-year jail sentences on corruption charges, are also expected to speak up for the first time during the court session on 13 August.

On Saturday 9 August, former interior minister El-Adly will also be given the opportunity to speak for the first time in front of the court's members with his defence lawyer.

During Monday's session, the court listened to the defendants' lawyer Farid El-Dib, who is scheduled to give his argument during a three-day court session.

The session was then adjourned to Tuesday, after which Mubarak left the court room to receive medical treatments.   

The 86-year-old is being retried on charges of complicity in the killing of about 850 unarmed protesters during the 2011 uprising that ended his 30-year rule.

He was found guilty of conspiring to kill protesters in a June 2012 verdict and sentenced to life in prison, but the conviction was overturned in January 2013 due to procedural failings and a retrial began in April 2013.

Last August, the ex-president – who had been detained for nearly two years since shortly after his deposition – was granted release and placed under house arrest at Cairo's Maadi Hospital.

He was convicted of graft charges in May, and given a three-year jail term, but has not been transferred to prison.

Short link: