A photo of the school bus after the accident on 5 November 2014 in Beheira (Photo: Al-Ahram)
Two drivers involved in last week's school bus crash in Beheira were on Monday referred to court for involuntary manslaughter and illegal drug use.
Eighteen people were killed when a school bus, lorry and private car crashed last Wednesday in Beheira governorate in the Nile Delta.
An initial report issued by the roads and bridges authority said the chain of collisions was triggered by "reckless" driving.
On Monday, general-prosecutor Hisham Barakat referred the school bus driver and lorry driver to court. They both face accusations involuntary manslaughter and the latter is also accused of possessing hashish (cannabis) for consumption.
Road accidents are recurrent across Egypt due to lack of road maintenance and loosely implemented traffic laws.
A recent government report said that 100,000 car accidents took place in Egypt from 2008 to 2012, with 33,000 killed and another 150,000 injured.
In 2012, a school bus collided with a train, killing over 50 students in Upper Egypt’s Assiut, sparking anger nationwide.
Two railway workers were put on trial over the accident and received ten years in prison.