Two days after having suspended its public services in Cairo, the British embassy issued a statement Tuesday, announcing an extension for "security reasons."
The statement asserted that the embassy will still continue to provide support to British investors and tourists in Egypt.
The British embassy announced on Sunday closing its premises in the heart of Cairo and suspending its public services. No reasons were provided in Sunday's statement but British Ambassador to Egypt John Casson, said on his official Twitter account that the office suspended its work for security reasons.
Earlier this week, a spokesperson of the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office told Ahram Online that the office will be closed "until further notice."
The embassy highlighted that there is a "high threat from terrorism,” stressing its several-month-old advisory to its citizens against "all travel" to North Sinai governorate.
All Britons in Egypt are also highly advised to refrain from all but essential travel to the South Sinai governorate, according to the embassy. Touristic sites in Sharm al-Sheikh, Hurghada and Upper Egypt are exempt from the travel warnings, which include areas within 50 km of the border with Libya.