People and security stand at the scene of a car bomb explosion near the Egyptian embassy in the Libyan capital of Tripoli November 13, 2014 (Photo: Reuters)
Egypt’s foreign affairs ministry said on Sunday it is closely monitoring the situation of 20 kidnapped Egyptians in conflict-stricken Libya.
The ministry, in a statement, said it is contacting several sides in Libya, including the legitimate Libyan government, heads of Libyan tribes, the Libyan Embassy in Egypt and notable Libyan personalities.
The statement reiterated its calls to Egyptians not to travel to Libya, amid ongoing unrest in the country.
Thirteen Coptic Christians were kidnapped on Saturday in Sirte, while another seven Coptic Christians were kidnapped in a separate incident last week.
The ministry added that it is monitoring the situation among “very complicated circumstances” and chaos, especially as there is no Egyptian presence in Libya. Egypt closed its embassy and consulate in Libya and recalled its staff for security reasons.
Several Coptic Christian Egyptians have been killed in Libya in recent years. In February, the bodies of seven Egyptian Christians who had been shot were found near the second city of Benghazi.
The latest incident took place last Friday when armed men abducted a teenage Coptic Christian girl after murdering her parents in Sirte.
Tens of thousands of Egyptians work in Libya, a key destination for Egyptian migrant workers, primarily in the construction industry.