Exit plans for Egyptian expats in Yemen put forth by Egypt's foreign ministry were being implemented on Wednesday, a statement by the foreign ministry read.
Houthi fighters have taken over several cities in Yemen, including the capital Sanaa, a development which prompted Saudi Arabia and regional allies to carry out airstrikes against them to halt their advance.
“The foreign ministry is securing exit plans for Egyptian expats through neighbouring countries and seaports,” the statement read.
It highlighted that the ministry is currently facilitating a safe exit for a group of Egyptians through Saudi borders, through the sea port of Aden, as well as a crossing between Yemen and Oman.
Meanwhile, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi said on Tuesday during a recorded speech that the Houthi rebels should "back out" of the ongoing war with the Yemeni state in order to “preserve the unity of their country.”
Reports said on Monday that Egyptian warships had shelled a column of Houthi fighters and troops loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh as they tried to advance on the southern port city of Aden. Egypt revealed last week that its navy and air forces were participating in the military operation in Yemen.