Bus driver receives suspended sentence for killing GUC student

Ahram Online , Thursday 9 Jul 2015

The bus driver was accused of hitting an engineering student in the university car park, leading to her death

GUC sit-in
The GUC students' sit-in at the "Platform" area in the University earlier Tuesday to protest the death of student Yara Tarek "Photo: Mahmoud Magdy"

Egypt's court has handed four drivers and the German University in Cairo (GUC) bus supervisor a suspended sentence of six months in prison for the accidental killing of GUC student, after she was hit by a university bus.

Bus driver Mohammed Mamdouh, who stood accused of hitting 19-year-old engineering student Yara Tarek Negm, has been released on a EGP 2,000 bail.

In early March, Negm was hit by a bus in the GUC parking lot and later died, after sustaining a skull fracture and losing a large amount of blood.

In March, Mamdouh was detained for three days, but released after three students testified that he was only driving in the bus lane.

Mamdouh claimed the accident was not his fault, and blamed the university administration for not properly planning the university parking lot.

The GUC student union stated that the whole transport department should be held accountable and blamed the university's administration for their bad planning of the parking lot, claiming it had previously led to several other accidents. 

Hundreds of students organised a sit-in to protest the death of their colleague, demanding that the parking system be improved, that all personnel responsible for the accident be held accountable, and that the campus' emergency services be re-examined.  

In return, the GUC administration suspended classes for three days and suspended student activities for two weeks to mourn Negm's death.

A majority of students boycotted their midterms to continue the protest after their demands were not met.

In May, the president of the GUC student union, Hazem Abdel-Khalek, his vice-president, Karim Nagib, and a third student, Alaa El-Atar, were detained over allegations of assaulting the university's head and security guards.

The three students were later released without bail.

Search Keywords:
Short link: