Two security personnel were injured on Friday in a North Sinai bombing, hours after the army announced it had killed 12 “terrorists” in Sheikh Zuweid.
A bomb exploded when the two officers were passing in their armoured vehicle, also in Sheikh Zuweid, causing them to sustain mild injuries, security sources told Ahram Arabic website.
The officers were transported to a hospital for medical treatment.
In a similar attack on Thursday, a bomb that struck an armoured military vehicle in North Sinai killed four soldiers and injured three others.
Sinai Province claimed responsibility for Thursday’s attack in a statement posted on their Twitter account.
The militant group, Egypt's most deadly, claimed a missile attack last week on an Egyptian navy boat off North Sinai coast--adjoining Israel and the Palestinian Gaza Strip. It also said it was behind a powerful bombing that hit the Italian Consulate in central Cairo a week earlier.
The decade-long militant insurgency in North Sinai has intensified in the past two years, with hundreds of army and police personnel killed. The army has also announced the killing of hundreds of terrorists.
In November 2014, Sinai Province claimed allegiance to the Islamic State militant group that controls large swathes of Syria and Iraq.