Egypt's interim prosecutor general ordered on Wednesday the detainment of both the owner and the manager of a Qalyubia factory. Their detainment will last four days pending investigations over a fire in their factory which killed 25 and injured 22 on Tuesday, Reuters' Aswat Masriya reported.
The prosecution has formed a committee to investigate the cause of the fire, which ravaged the three storey factory in Qalyubia's Obour City, and to determine how the victims were killed and injured, Al-Ahram newspaper reported.
A security source told Al-Ahram Arabic news website on Tuesday that the fire erupted due to the explosion of a gas tank that workers were delivering to the factory.
A statement released by the Ministry of Interior on Tuesday said the fire had been contained by 23 fire engines during the morning shift.
The Qalyubia governor announced that the families of the victims will be financially compensated with a total of LE20,000 for those killed, and LE5,000 for the injured.
Last week, in another deadly accident, a party boat collided with a cargo ship near Al-Warraq district in Giza, causing the former to capsize, leaving 38 dead. This case is also being investigated by the prosecution.